Perth Airport is transforming rapidly
- Terminal 2 (T2) is now open and located next to the current International Terminal (T1). It is servicing the needs of regional WA and some interstate routes, and is home to Alliance Airlines, some Virgin Australia regional services, and Tigerair.
- The $80 million transformation of the international arrivals journey is in full swing and the first phase is now complete. On the 15 November, inbound Immigration moved to a new area on level 1 more than double the size of its previous one on the ground floor. It is situated next to a new arrivals JR/Duty Free store, also twice the size. The expansion of the ground floor baggage reclaim and secondary examination (Quarantine) area has commenced and the first of three double loop baggage reclaim belts opened on the 22 November.
- The $100 million expansion of the international departures area has commenced and will give the airport the capacity to take the Airbus A380 and Virgin Australia’s A330 in 2014.
- The construction of a new $190 million Domestic Pier at the western end of the current International Terminal (T1), has also commenced and will see Virgin Australia move its domestic services to the international precinct in late 2014.
- Work continues on the development of taxiways and apron works in preparation for the new Domestic Pier and expansion of the international arrivals and departures areas.
- The forecourt of the current International Terminal is being redesigned and will feature more convenient access to car parking, Connect shuttle buses and taxis, as well as dedicated pick-up and drop-off areas.
- Construction of a multi-storey car park is scheduled to commence in 2014.
This represents the first stage towards having all commercial air services operating from one convenient location within the next 10 years.